Last week, Little Monkey’s dietitian called and let me know that his lab results had come in. They were even very good, which we like. We are aiming for his phe level to be between 2.0 and 6.0. Little Monkey’s latest results were exactly 2.0. The good news about that is that it is likely that his body can handle just a little bit more phe each day. The bad part about that is that I have to figure out a way to get it into him! He doesn’t like to eat a ton still, so it is hard finding things that he can have but that have enough phe in them too. I know one day I will be glad for every last milligram of phe that he is allowed to have, but right now, it is hard. We even put milk into his formula each day to help us get to the magic number of 255-260 milligrams.
Overall though, this is of course good news. At his visit the Doctor said he was happy with Little Monkey’s growth, while it has been slow, it has been steady and he is continuing to get bigger. I’ll take that! We don’t have to go back until the first week of February. Until then, we will just keep trying to get him to eat food and drink his formula. On another positive note, he was holding food in his mouth for WAY too long without swallowing it but that practice has lessened quite a bit. He still does it, but not as bad as before.