A friend of Amy’s (D) asked if we could make her some items for her soon to arrive baby girl (A). She wanted us to use some of her old Lilly dresses. She sent us two different dresses with one request. Use one of them to make a pillowcase style dress for A, keeping the bottom hem intact. I haven’t gotten to work on that project yet but I did use the second dress to make a few gifts.
I started with this dress:
And created a small gift set with some of its parts. Amy had requested some burp rags and I decided to make an initial onesie too. I bought some burp rags from Target and washed them. Unfortunately for me, I bought the kind I didn’t want. Not a big deal but the prefold type cloth diapers work better/easier for this project. I ironed them as best I could and set them up to add the fabric.
The dress had two layers to it. I first cut them apart and then cut a piece of the top layer for my first burp rag. I sewed it together and then used the orange under layer of the dress for the next burp rag. I added a small section from the top layer to add some interest and fun. On the top layer, at the hem, there is lace that has ‘Lilly’ written in it. I used that to go on top of the orange fabric. I took another part of the top layer and cut out an ‘a’ to applique to the onesie. I hope Mommy D and Baby A love the newly upcycled Lilly items! (I will get to work on the other dress too!)
I’m sharing this post at: